Thursday, January 8, 2009

life inside the clam shell.

The other night I was sorting through some papers (trying to de-clutter my life...check out "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh) I ran across my grading evaluations from the U of N in 2004. I found comments like:

* "Needs more patience with herself. Can be overly critical. Have fun."

* "Push more during the development stage."

* "Needs to put more constant effort into the whole design."

* "Lacy could be that A+++. I think her little clam shell gets in her own way...do not trap yourself." (Did they just call me a clam?!! I've never thought of myself of a clam! I just got a mental picture of that...chuckle, chuckle!)

* "You can draw! You just need to spend more time on concepts and planning ahead and pace yourself so you can finish on time. Fight the perfectionist tendency- when you get past that you'll relax and the flow will come." (I clearly am not past the perfectionist tendency...the "flow" hasn't come.)

* "work on composition"

* "...relax, enjoy with abandon and not take [yourself] so seriously."

* "excellent rendering skills"

* "your in-class critiques were excellent"


Did these comments go in one ear and out the other? Years later, these comments could still be said about my work! Am I stuck? I just can't seem to relax and let myself play. I procrastinate. I am overly critical. My work seems dry for the most part. Last semester I was given an assignment that really struck a cord with me and for the first time in years (probably since middle school) I cracked open my "clam shell" and let myself play a little. Here is some of what i came up with. (Remember these are sketches so they are a little rough.)



"You've cooked Tom."



"I wish."



"The foal came a little while ago...she's a beauty."


"Your father was a charmer."


"It's a big step."

"You killed him. You slimmy scoundrel. I oughta shoot you. Roy Bub we're running a toy zoo."


"Do it Texas style. Three shoots. Stone dead."



"I could be in a Broadway musical...but I would have to bring my bathtub."

"I dressed for dinner putting on my armor."

"A whole adventure in the company of my hero! What more could a little girl ask?

'You've met your match, evil plant!'

That's a monstrous plant!"

"Library"

"Flower designs."

"A lot of tourist honky-tonk whales."

"Plate of cakes."

"Dressed a couple of rabbits."

"Hawaii seized illegally...America stole the islands from their rightful rulers and people."

2 comments:

  1. Life inside the clamshell is quite the world. Gotta admit though, "Dressed a couple of rabbits" is my favorite. Kudos on the wide range of talent shown in the sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to enjoy your blog I think! I can't access any blogs or facebook at work, but someday when I am richer I'll have internet at home!! My new graduation date is December 28th 2009, but they are reviewing two other courses which, if accepted, will move my graduation up by five or ten weeks. Work is going well, and I am displaying your art in my classroom already, and still loving it. :) I'll have to work at having more of you in my life maybe talking to you on your blog will be just the ticket. Take care.
    November

    ReplyDelete