Friday, July 17, 2009

Keep Your Feet

"It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo

I needed a day to myself ("I've got to get away from these confounded relative hanging on the bell all day, never giving me a moment's peace!"-Bilbo) and for a while now I've been wanting to sketch at the zoo, plus my nephew's art is being displayed at the Gilcrease Museum so I thought I would make a day of it. I set off but not keeping my feet I pleasantly ended up in unexpected places. As usual, I got lost. I don't plan to get lost but I know it will happen, it always does, now I just look at it as being an adventure...cue the Indiana Jonas music while I plop on a pith helmet and whip out my handy binoculars. I couldn't find the zoo or Gilcrease, so I just started following signs and ended up at the Philbrook Museum instead. When I entered the museum the first thing I saw was a huge sign announcing a Michelangelo display. I almost missed the drawings they were only a few inches big. Not what i had been expecting...I had been thinking about all the Michelangelo art I saw in Italy...there was no comparison. In spite of all that, I really enjoyed the museum. I enjoyed seeing a rough draft sketch of Mary Cassatt's Woman in Black at the Opera and I enjoyed the impressionism section. I sketched in the gardens. All in all it was a good day. I got lost again on the way home but that is to be expected and is half the fun, right? I am fairly certain that city is set up so that roads completely disappear with out warning and before you know it you are on the wrong road...so you see it really isn't my fault...I can't be blamed for getting lost if the roads keep running off without me and hiding in other locations. I found you take one wrong turn and it can turn into a long trip going in the wrong direction taking many more wrong turns before you can finally end up back on the right road, funny how it works that way...but if you have to be lost, it's good to be lost on Route 66 (it seems lots of lost people have found themselves on that road )I tend to eavesdrop while I'm sketching. I heard a gardener give this generous offer: "I'll give you my volunteer wages."

No comments:

Post a Comment